22-May-13, 01:49 AM
Main | When You Move In | Continuing & Professional Education | Family Housing | OIT Residential Services Fee | Long Distance Calling | Dialing Instructions | Telephone Features | Voice Mail | Creating and Managing Group Distribution Lists
If you are experiencing a problem with your telephone service or voice mail service, please read through the following questions and answers. If the problem persists, please don't hesitate to use a neighbor's phone to call Residential Telecom, 545-2103.
My telephone has no dial tone, what should I do?
Make sure your telephone is plugged into the upper left telephone wall jack if you are in a residence hall, or into the upper jack if you are in a Family Housing apartment. If you still get no dial tone, then there is a problem with either your telephone, your line cord, or the wall jack. Before calling for assistance, please take the following steps to identify the problem:
- Plug your telephone and line cord into a wall jack you know to be working, such as your neighbor's.
- If you still get no dial tone with the working wall jack, then the problem is with your telephone or line cord. It is your responsibility to repair or replace your telephone or line cord.
- If you get a dial tone with the working wall jack, then the problem is with the wall jack in your room. Please call Residential Telecom, 545-2103 for assistance.
The telephone isn't ringing in my room, but people are still leaving voice mail messages. Why?
Your telephone is either directly forwarded to voice mail or your ringer is turned off. For instructions about how to deactivate the forwarding voice mail function, see Immediate Diversion to Voice Mail. For information about how to turn on the telephone ringer, please refer to your telephone manufacturer's manual.
What should I do if I receive harassing phone calls?
If you receive harassing calls, please report the incident to residential staff and contact the Department of Public Safety, 545-2121, for assistance. Harassing telephone calls are a violation of Massachusetts General Law.
How do I report telephone and network connection problems?
- For broken wall jacks or telephone line problems please contact Residential Telecommunications at 545-2103, email@example.com, or submit a help request and fill out an online Permission to Enter (PTE) form at https://help.oit.umass.edu/pte/.
- Problems with Wireless or Ethernet services should be reported to the OIT Help Desk, 545-9400.
Voice Mail Problems
If I erase a message from my voice mail is there any way to get it back?
No. Once a message is erased, it cannot be retrieved.
My password isn't working. What should I do?
If your password is not working:
- Check to make sure that no one has changed it.
- Try accessing your voice mail from another resident's telephone. (The buttons on your telephone keypad could be sticking or a button may not be registering when pressed.)
- If you still have password problems, contact Residential Telecom, 545-2103, for assistance.